Friday, May 1, 2009

05/1/09 Can I get a (another) woot-woot for starfall.com!

Ryan loves to play on the computer now. So, any time we are NEAR the computer, he comes running from wherever he's playing yelling "star-dot-com!!! star-dot-com!!!". So, I let him play for a few minutes a day. Well, before we started doing starfall.com, Ryan knew all his capital letters. This isn't really something we have focused on, he just seemed to pick them up here and there. I did point out a few in the beginning and when he grasped the concept, he started asking about others and just sort of ran with it. I figured we wouldn't even bother with the lowercase letters until later - I didn't want to focus so much on letters right now. In fact, I toyed with teaching him the lowercase letters by sound instead of "this is an 'a'" type thing. Anyway...

Well, Eric and I were watching him last week while he was on starfall.com and he was playing a matching game (he gets on there and navigates wherever he would like to go). He knew every single lowercase letter they were showing him and could match it to the uppercase letter. Without even pausing between them. Wow. Go starfall! Actually, we have no idea how many or which ones he knows - so it could be a select few or all of them. I just know I was amazed at how fast he was doing them and without any teaching from me/us.

So, part of me felt guilty for "holding him back" and not teaching him myself - later, I started wondering if I was 'relying' on the computer to teach him. But, I had to stop with that line of thinking b/c it doesn't matter where/how he learns as long as he's doing it while having fun and doing what he wants.

He def keeps me on my toes...

No comments:

Post a Comment